Gender Action Learning System (GALS) is a community-led empowerment methodology using specific participatory processes and diagram tools that aims to give women as well as men more control over their lives as the basis for individual, household, community and organizational development.
The key focus of the course is to analyze and breakthrough gender based barriers and changing gender base inequalities at individual and at the family level as challenges that prevent participants from achieving their visions. Gender inequalities are the key cause of enterprises and economic inequality at household levels, which in turn leads to poverty. In addition, the training aims at enabling participants to recognize gender injustice as an obstacle to their shared visions for a better life.
At the end of the course, the participants will be able to:
- Understand GALS methodologies
- apply GALS methodologies by including social and gender aspects
- Understand how to develop an action plan which supports the community to work in achieving GALS
- Understand the concepts of gender identity and gender inequalities.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is valuable for Individuals, households, communities, and organizations.
Module I: GALS PRINCIPLES
- Women as intelligent agents of development
- Men as allies in change
- From individual to collective reflection
- Acknowledging and respecting gender differences
- Peer learning
- Gender justice and rights-based principles
Module II: GAL IMPLEMENTATION AND ADAPTATION AT COMMUNITY
- Field-testing and first community-designed pictorial manual(s)
- Design and adaptation
- Capacity-building with staff and communities
- Scaling up
Module III: GENDER JUSTICE DIAMOND
- Gender inequality.
- Gender identity
- The differences and similarities of aspirations between men and women
Module IV: CHALLENGE ACTION TREES
- The challenging action tree parts (the TRUNK, ROOTS, BRANCHES and FLOWERS)
- ‘SMART’ action
- Participatory thinking
- Gender analysis
- Collective action
Module V: TREE OF DIAMOND DREAMS
- Identification of gender justice areas
- Developing a GALS culture
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
- We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The training will be conducted at DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, Nairobi Kenya.
- The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.
- Payment should be sent to our bank account before start of training and proof of payment sent to: email@example.com