An ideal starting point for aspiring journalists: this course will give you an essential understanding of the basic principles of journalism in preparation for further training.
The course will unravel the journalism industry and help you focus your career goals – not to mention helping demonstrate your commitment to potential employers. Over the course of four practical lessons, you’ll learn about publishing history, media technology, editing, law, features, page layout and more.
By the end of the course the participant should be able to:
- Explain the different types of journalism
- Define the main criteria for a news story
- Develop a system for fact checking and research
- Explain how to perform an interview
- Explain different types of feature stories
- Identify proactive journalism
- Explain different workflow’s roles and responsibility of journalism
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is suitable for aspiring journalists and anyone looking to find out the basic principles of journalism. It is also useful for those who have PR responsibilities in their work.
The World of Journalism
- The history of media and the free press
- The role of the journalist today
- The role of new technology
News Stories & Interviewing
- How to write a news story
- How to find the right angle
- The importance of the intro
- Developing interviewing techniques
- Preventing the pitfalls
- How to ask the right questions
- What is defamation?
- The legal pitfalls for today’s journalists
- What is copyright?
TV & Radio
- The role of radio, TV and the internet
- Writing your news bulletin
- How the radio/TV newsroom work
Writing Skills, Features & Specialisms
- Improving your writing
- How to file copy
- What is house style?
- How to plan and write a feature
- How to write a press release
- The role of the photo-journalist
Courts & Public Administration
- The structure of the courts
- What are inquests?
- How to write a safe court story
- The importance of the Government
- Covering council meetings
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
- We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The training will be conducted at DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, NAIROBI KENYA.
- The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.
- Payment should be sent to our bank account before start of training and proof of payment sent to: email@example.com