Agribusiness is still of central importance to most of the world's economies. To effectively contribute to economic growth there must be coordinated links between agribusiness firms, farmers, retailers and others in the supply chain. The challenges are many as changing consumer preferences, fluctuating supply and demand and climate change create new and unpredictable conditions. Additionally, ensuring consumer safety and quality requires strict regulatory controls, including environmental considerations. This programme presents innovative methods and technologies for adapting to changing conditions, creating effective links and increasing production. The postharvest training contains information on activities related to postharvest handling, packaging, cooling, shipping and storage of fresh fruits and vegetables.
At the end of the course, the participants will be able to:
Understand the post-harvest technology of fruits and vegetables
Understand cold chain management
Understand the work space, tool and equipment design for PHT and cold chain management
Study the various certification and accreditation i.e. FASSI, HACCP, ISO and other leveling.
Sharpen skills in appraisal of postharvest projects
Build competence in postharvest financing
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
Directors of regional offices responsible for the agricultural sector
Employees of NGOs
Private sector professionals
Export and marketing managers
Producers of agricultural products
Introduction to Agribusiness Management
- Small Businesses: Management for Success Management
- An Agriculture Project as a Business Opportunity
- Small and Medium Agribusiness Entrepreneurship
- Project Management
Principles of Postharvest Management
- Importance and scope of postharvest management of fruits and vegetables
- Physiological and pathological disorders
- Ripening physical, physiological and biochemical changes after harvest
- Ripening methods, ethylene in post harvest technology in fruits like mango, banana, papaya, acid lime etc.
- Maturity indices & harvesting indices, harvesting methods, mechanical harvesting, pre-harvest factors influencing postharvest life, factors leading to postharvest losses.
- Postharvest handling, washing, waxing, drying methods, processing, grading, packaging techniques, packaging standards.
- Constraints in postharvest management, postharvest deterioration, pre and post-harvest treatments for extending postharvest shelf life.
- Postharvest Techniques and Meeting International Standards for Export of Vegetables and Fresh Herbs
- Postharvest: Facilities
- Postharvest: Sites of losses
- Energy Use in Postharvest Technology Procedures
- Harvesting and Postharvest Handling Systems for Various Commodity Groups
Cooling, Packing and Packing House Operations
- Cooling and pre-cooling methods, cool chain.
- Packing and packinghouse operations- postharvest treatments to enhance shelf life.
- Packaging and Transport
- Packaging - types of containers and cushioning materials - packaging methods.
- The Role of the Packing House in the Postharvest Sequence
- Modes of transport-constraints - transit hazards in fruits and vegetables
- Storage objective; Storage practices: CA and MA, hypobaric storage, Zero energy cool chamber; Cool Bot cool room
- Storage of fruits and vegetable; methods for domestic and export market
- Introduction to Cold Storage Supply Chain in Harvest and Postharvest
- Compatibility of horticulture produce for storage
- Role of chemical & packaging material on keeping quality of horticultural produce
- Postharvest: Storage Sanitation
- Decision Making under Uncertain Conditions
- Cash Flow Preparation and Financial Controls
- The potentials and financing opportunities in postharvest
- Accessing risk in postharvest financing and mitigations
- De-risking post-harvest financing
- Understanding and Working with Cooperatives
- Writing and presenting postharvest project appraisal report
- Monitoring of postharvest project
- Strategies in overcoming challenges in postharvest financing
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
- We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more:firstname.lastname@example.org
- The training will be conducted at DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, Nairobi Kenya.
- The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.
- Payment should be sent to our bank account before start of training and proof of payment sent to:email@example.com