MapInfo Professional is a desktop geographic information system (GIS) software product produced by Pitney Bowes Software (formerly MapInfo Corporation) and used for mapping and location analysis.
This course will help participant(s) start with MapInfo Software and how to use MapInfo efficiently and tasks that you could achieve from it. Participant(s) will be able to visualize, analyze, edit, interpret, understand and output data to reveal relationships, patterns, and trends. MapInfo allows users to explore spatial data within a dataset, symbolize features, and create maps.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- GIS functions, applications and components
- Database organization
- Creation of new tables work with raster layers
- Importing external databases and join tables
- Management of attributes and perform SQL selections
- Management of raster and vector layers
- Advanced skills in creating vectorial data
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is open to all individuals willing to learn about map information used by professionals.
Module I: Introduction
- Introduction to GIS
- How GIS works
- The main GIS functions, applications and components
Presentation of MapInfo software
- MapInfo and adds-on presentation
- The interface presentation
- Databases organization
- The vector objects definition (point, polyline, and polygon)
Module II: Getting started with MapInfo
- Open / Save / Close a MapInfo document (.wor)
- Create a new workspace and open a MapInfo table
- Navigate in the different windows, menus and tools
- Navigate in the map and attribute windows
- Display coordinates
- Measure a distance
- Where is the projection of a MapInfo table?
- Interaction between geometry and attribute data set
- Create a new MapInfo table from a selection
Module III: Standard manipulations
- The layers and legends control
- The layer DRAW
- Labels (display objects’ attributes data on the map)
- Create a legend
- Thematic analysis (simple functions)
- Page layout
Work with raster layers
- Open raster imagery
- Raster management within MapInfo
- Logical raster layers
Import external databases, table join
- Analysis and modification of the structure of a table by adding new fields
- Import of Microsoft Excel data (.xls)
- Join between 2 tables (2 methods)
Attributes management, SQL selections
- Queries and SQL selection in MapInfo
- Thematic analysis, advanced setup, advanced labels / export
Module IV: Advanced Raster and Vector data management
- Add Microsoft BING Maps and openStreemap
- Georeferencing raster imagery
- Advanced queries and SQL selections
- Know how with SQL queries
- Filter information
- Column updates
- Link 2 tables (dynamic)
- Crossing SQL queries on 2 MapInfo tables
- Grouping data
- Advanced SQL language and queries (attributes and spatial)
- Table merging.
- Advanced digitalization
Module V: Advanced creation of vectorial data (MAPCAD)
- Verification of data
- CAD databases
- Import and structure AUTOCAD datasets (DXF / DWG)
- External database
- How MapInfo handle external relational external database (Microsoft Access, PostGIS)
- Easy loader tool
- Connect a Microsoft Access database
- Connect a PostgreSQL / PostGIS database
- Mapping RDBMS tables
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
- We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The training will be conducted at DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, Nairobi Kenya.
- The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.
- Payment should be sent to our bank account before start of training and proof of payment sent to: email@example.com