TRAINING COURSE ON CFO STRATEGY AND LEADERSHIP PROGRAM AND EXPOSURE
The CFO Leadership Program is designed to develop the leadership and wider business expertise required of today’s and tomorrow’s high-performing CFOs. Finance Directors frequently progress from being a controller and a good accountant or treasurer into a new role where they are expected to participate in developing strategy, manage a group and exercise leadership as well as keeping on top of the numbers. The CFO Leadership Program has been designed by a former Finance Director with global responsibility as well as considerable management development expertise for Finance Directors and aspiring Finance Directors to address those issues that move from technical expertise to the less structured issues of strategic development as well as leadership. A key aspect is the use of two professional psychometric tools which allow participants to understand their leadership style and how to understand the preferences of their teams and senior colleagues.
A range of strategic models are introduced, using a number of cases and then supported by debate using the real-life experience of those on the course. You will understand how to choose performance measures and communicate them to non-financial colleagues to guide your organization in a transformation program that creates value through the alignment of finance capabilities with corporate strategy.
By the end of the course the participant should be able to:
- Lead the finance function to be a partner to the business
- Linking financial objectives and performance measures to business strategy
- Understand your leadership style and link this to financial objectives
- Evaluate the practical implications of investment decisions and acquisitions
- Build and lead a high-performance finance team
- Evaluate a deeper insight into how the business model translates into the accounting numbers
- Meet the different objectives of investors and funders
- Drive innovation and lead cultural change
- Lead organizational transformation
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course has been specifically designed for the benefit of finance directors and senior financial executives looking to become Finance Directors who will often have had a technical background as controllers, treasurers or other professional disciplines who are looking to understand the wider business and leadership context with a need to influence their organization and move it forward. Yes CFOs are also leaders and need to understand their own leadership style and how they can be most effective. The course will develop strategic understanding and awareness as well as exploring how Finance Directors can influence and lead the business whilst maintaining the key aspects of financial reporting and control.
The CFO as a Leader – Setting the Parameters
The Evolving CFO
The program begins with participants introducing themselves, their expectations and objectives. Focused on the individual participant, this initial session will explore:
- The scope of the CFO responsibilities
- Your strategic and leadership skill sets
- Your career aspirations as a CFO
Setting the Scene – What does the Modern CFO Do and how do you Spend your Time?
- Strategic consideration
- Setting the tone
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Investor relations
- What are the issues?
Exploring the issues that CFOs face during a time of change
Setting Financial Objectives– Key Financial Issues
- Shareholder value
- Setting financial objectives
- Capital structure
- Economic value added
- Need for growth
- Organizational issues
Choosing Financial Measures
- Using the Performance Prism
- Shareholder Value metrics
- Using the balanced scorecard
Behavioral Finance and Personal Bias
- Understanding bias in financial data
- The risks of believing the numbers
- The risks of sales forecasts
- The problem of too much cost control
The Strategic Context – What are the Organization’s Objectives?
Introduction to Strategy
- Where does strategy come from?
- The purpose of the firm
- Levels of strategy – corporate, business unit and operational
- Determinants of strategy
- Sources of data
Designing and Implementing Strategy
- Analytic tools and techniques to design and build the strategy
- Integrating financial strategy into current operational plans and priorities
- Influencing, formulating and implementing strategy
Designing Strategy – Strategy from the Outside
- Introduction to industrial economic value of strategy
- PESTEL analysis
- Porter’s five force model
- Supply chain analysis
Applying the tools of competitive strategy to an industry
Designing Strategy – Strategy from the Inside
- Resource based theory
- VRIN model
- Strategic assets
- Implications for strategy
Linking Financial Objectives to Organizational Strategy
- Introduction to value drivers
- Need for sustainable competitive advantage
- Identifying sources of competitive advantage
Public Share Markets and Share Prices
- Linking financial performance to share prices
- Understanding fundamental value
- The difference between firm performance and share price performance
- The role of stock market analysts
Personal Style: Understanding Yourself
- Who am I?
- Decision Profile analysis – understanding the dimensions of risk, luck, decisiveness and intuition
Personal Style and Managing Others
- The Myers-Briggs type indicator and managing different styles
- The Transformational CFO: Leading Change
Personal Style, Leadership and Culture
The Transformational CFO
- Building sustainable leadership
- Building individual leadership capacity through self- awareness
- Becoming more reflective about leadership and how it works
- Changing the way the organization thinks about leadership
Building and Leading a High-Performing Finance Team
- Assessing the strengths and weaknesses of your team
- Developing, influencing and motivating individuals
- Managing dynamics to ensure that your team is working at their peak performance
The CFO as a Leader and Business Partner
Leading through Successful Change
- Analyzing the impact of change on people and the organization
- How your personal change style impacts your approach to leadership of change
- Supporting people through change
- Overcoming conflicts and chaos situations
- Investor relations strategy
- Designing the message externally and internally
- Managing internal messages
- Preparation for own personal strategic plan
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
- We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more: email@example.com
- The training will be conducted at DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, NAIROBI KENYA.
- The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.
- Payment should be sent to our bank account before start of training and proof of payment sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org