In our diverse workplace being able to work effectively across cultural divides is an essential skill for any Leader, professional, Manager or Worker. Cultural Intelligence (CI) is the capability to relate and work effectively across cultures. Culture has been one of the key competencies in fields ranging from leadership and psychology, engineering, and finance, to accounting and marketing. The higher your CI, the more likely you will experience success working in a diverse, globalized world.
They are many different types of culture. These include occupational, organizational, age and even gender. However, one of the most prominent types is national culture. That is the norms, behaviours, beliefs, attitudes, customs and values that exist within the population of a country.
Cultural differences in communication can also cause significant problems. Million-dollar business deals can be lost, international negotiations can fail and workplace problems can intensify. This exciting but practical training course is run as a master-class in all aspects of culture and how you can thrive in a multi-cultural world.
By the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Develop your ability in working and relating effectively with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Understand the limits of your own CI and know how to improve it
- Describe the meaning of each of the five cultural value dimensions
- List ways to minimize the barriers to cross-cultural communication
- Assess your own work and how to adjust it to apply your CI
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This training is suitable for a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- All Leaders, Managers & Supervisors
- Human resource (HR) Professionals
- Marketing & PR Specialists
- Any professional who needs to develop their CI
- Expatriates working on global assignments or those who manage expatriates
Day One: The Psychology and Meaning of Culture
- Where culture comes from and why it matters
- Understanding globalization
- Your own cultural map
- The seven levels of culture (national, workplace, gender, age, regional, religious, occupation)
- The Hofsted five cultural value dimensions
Day Two: Communicating Across Cultures
- Why communication differences and barriers occur
- How to remove barriers to communication
- Stereotypes and stereotyping explored
- Non-verbal communication (body-language) and culture
- Workplace culture and the impact on organizational communication
Day Three: Cross-Cultural Negotiation
- The basics of negotiation with CI
- Cultural differences in negotiation
- Overestimating and underestimating cultural differences in negotiation
- Negotiation traps to avoid
- Developing your cross-cultural negotiation skills
Day Four: Managing Expatriates and Diversity
- International assignments and global career development
- Culture shock and global working
- International Human Resource issues
- The business case for cultural diversity
- Nationalization programmes
Day Five: Developing and Maintaining your CI
- Developing a global mindset
- How to improve your CI
- Managing in multi-national companies
- National culture & strategy
- Personal Action Planning
- This course is delivered by our seasoned trainers who have vast experience as expert professionals in the respective fields of practice. The course is taught through a mix of practical activities, theory, group works and case studies.
- Training manuals and additional reference materials are provided to the participants.
- Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate.
- We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs. Contact us to find out more: email@example.com
- The training will be conducted at DATA-AFRIQUE TRAINING CENTRE, NAIROBI KENYA.
- The training fee covers tuition fees, training materials, lunch and training venue. Accommodation and airport transfer are arranged for our participants upon request.
- Payment should be sent to our bank account before start of training and proof of payment sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org